One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNZ, Australian
Reliable information.‘she's got the good oil on the government's social agenda’‘the column will be back next week with more good oil’
- ‘The game was to decide which, if any, of these variants was the good oil.’
- ‘You could read a summary in a newspaper, or you could get the good oil here.’
- ‘Can the Net help us get the good oil on what might be happening during the upcoming invasion?’
- ‘A young woman beginning a law degree this month visited the air stations recently to 'get the good oil' on life as a navy lawyer.’
- ‘I know I'm playing your emotions like a fiddle, but just to show there are no hard feelings, here's the good oil.’
- ‘It's a subject notoriously difficult to pin down, and she gets some of the good oil on it from Dr Houston.’
- ‘To get the good oil on why a supposedly 128 Kbps connection was providing such lousy performance, I contacted Andrew.’
- ‘Anyone got the good oil on the skeletons some of these missing candidates presumably carry?’
- ‘His August 2 scoop held good, because he really did have the good oil on a done deal despite categorical denials.’
- ‘It's too smug to dismiss it all as sham, and too naïve to accept it all as the good oil.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.