One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A venereal disease involving inflammatory discharge from the urethra or vagina.
- ‘Hormonal contraceptives should not be withheld on the detection of gonorrhea or chlamydial infection.’
- ‘Infection with gonorrhea, chlamydia and hepatitis is also common.’
- ‘Thrush, bacterial vaginosis, trichomoniasis, chlamydia and gonorrhoea are the most common causes of vaginal infection.’
- ‘Some sexually transmitted infections, such as gonorrhoea and chlamydial infection, have different presentations in the two sexes because of differences in genital anatomy.’
- ‘These would include infections with chlamydia, trichomonas, gonorrhea, and syphilis, for example.’
- ‘She attributes a major depopulating role to venereal diseases, especially gonorrhoea, which makes women infertile.’
- ‘Bacterial infections such as gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydia, and chancroid are also spread through oral intercourse.’
- ‘The presence of pubic lice should prompt an evaluation for other common sexually transmitted diseases, such as chlamydial infection and gonorrhea.’
- ‘Some of the most common are chlamydia, gonorrhoea, human papilloma virus and genital herpes.’
- ‘Women at increased risk should be tested for hepatitis C infection, gonorrhea, and chlamydia.’
- ‘We examined national trends in diagnosed HIV infections, gonorrhoea, and infectious syphilis from 1995 to 2000, using published routine data and studies.’
- ‘His past medical history revealed hepatitis C virus infection, genital gonorrhea, and chlamydial infection.’
- ‘Tuberculosis had the highest incidence rate of serious diseases, followed by hepatitis B, dysentery, gonorrhea and syphilis.’
- ‘Screening for hepatitis B and C, gonorrhea, and chlamydial infection also should be considered.’
- ‘During the pelvic exam, the doctor may take samples to look for the germs that cause gonorrhea and chlamydia infections.’
- ‘The men had all had a diagnosis of urethritis due to chlamydia and/or gonorrhea infection, and most reported two or more sex partners.’
- ‘If untreated, STIs such as gonorrhoea and chlamydia can lead to pelvic inflammatory disease in women, where the internal reproductive organs can be damaged, causing pain, ectopic pregnancies and infertility.’
- ‘However, oral sex can result in pharyngeal gonorrhea, chlamydial infection, and hepatitis A infection.’
- ‘Ascending infection in women leads to the major complication of gonorrhea, pelvic inflammatory disease, a common cause of female infertility.’
- ‘The organisms that cause the sexually transmitted diseases gonorrhea and chlamydia can also infect the eyes and cause conjunctivitis.’
Early 16th century: via late Latin from Greek gonorrhoia, from gonos ‘semen’ + rhoia ‘flux’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.