Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A venereal disease involving inflammatory discharge from the urethra or vagina.
- ‘She attributes a major depopulating role to venereal diseases, especially gonorrhoea, which makes women infertile.’
- ‘We examined national trends in diagnosed HIV infections, gonorrhoea, and infectious syphilis from 1995 to 2000, using published routine data and studies.’
- ‘The presence of pubic lice should prompt an evaluation for other common sexually transmitted diseases, such as chlamydial infection and gonorrhea.’
- ‘Ascending infection in women leads to the major complication of gonorrhea, pelvic inflammatory disease, a common cause of female infertility.’
- ‘Women at increased risk should be tested for hepatitis C infection, gonorrhea, and chlamydia.’
- ‘Screening for hepatitis B and C, gonorrhea, and chlamydial infection also should be considered.’
- ‘Hormonal contraceptives should not be withheld on the detection of gonorrhea or chlamydial infection.’
- ‘If untreated, STIs such as gonorrhoea and chlamydia can lead to pelvic inflammatory disease in women, where the internal reproductive organs can be damaged, causing pain, ectopic pregnancies and infertility.’
- ‘The men had all had a diagnosis of urethritis due to chlamydia and/or gonorrhea infection, and most reported two or more sex partners.’
- ‘Thrush, bacterial vaginosis, trichomoniasis, chlamydia and gonorrhoea are the most common causes of vaginal infection.’
- ‘These would include infections with chlamydia, trichomonas, gonorrhea, and syphilis, for example.’
- ‘During the pelvic exam, the doctor may take samples to look for the germs that cause gonorrhea and chlamydia infections.’
- ‘Bacterial infections such as gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydia, and chancroid are also spread through oral intercourse.’
- ‘The organisms that cause the sexually transmitted diseases gonorrhea and chlamydia can also infect the eyes and cause conjunctivitis.’
- ‘Some sexually transmitted infections, such as gonorrhoea and chlamydial infection, have different presentations in the two sexes because of differences in genital anatomy.’
- ‘His past medical history revealed hepatitis C virus infection, genital gonorrhea, and chlamydial infection.’
- ‘However, oral sex can result in pharyngeal gonorrhea, chlamydial infection, and hepatitis A infection.’
- ‘Tuberculosis had the highest incidence rate of serious diseases, followed by hepatitis B, dysentery, gonorrhea and syphilis.’
- ‘Some of the most common are chlamydia, gonorrhoea, human papilloma virus and genital herpes.’
- ‘Infection with gonorrhea, chlamydia and hepatitis is also common.’
Early 16th century: via late Latin from Greek gonorrhoia, from gonos semen + rhoia flux.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.