One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of hormones secreted by the pituitary which stimulate the activity of the gonads.
- ‘These gonadotropins in turn stimulate synthesis of steroid hormones in target tissues.’
- ‘Radiologic studies typically include pelvic ultrasound; laboratory data should be obtained regarding pertinent gonadotropins and other hormone levels.’
- ‘The existence of a positive relationship between coital activities and both gonadotropins and androgens indicates the importance of these compounds to healthy vaginal epithelium when estrogen levels are decreased.’
- ‘The estrogen also decreases secretion of gonadotropins by the anterior pituitary, with a consequent decrease in the amount of androgens produced by the ovaries.’
- ‘Testosterone is often linked with virility but treatment with the hormone can suppress the production of sperm by reducing levels of hormones called gonadotropins.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.