Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An organ that produces gametes; a testis or ovary.
- ‘Whether the gonads become ovaries or testes is determined by the chromosomes received from the parents at the time of conception.’
- ‘To compensate, internal organs such as the gizzard, gonads, and intestine may shrink.’
- ‘Fish were scored as intersexes when at least one of the gonads was an ovotestis or when one ovary and one testis were observed simultaneously.’
- ‘It is known as a gonadotrophic hormone as it affects the gonads (testes and ovaries) in mammals.’
- ‘As adults they lack appendages, segmentation, and all internal organs except gonads and the remains of the nervous system.’
- 1.1gonadsvulgar slang A man's testicles or genitals.
Late 19th century: from modern Latin gonades, plural of gonas, from Greek gonē generation, seed.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.