One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very large, boldly marked tropical beetle related to the chafers, the male of which has a forked horn on the head.
Genus Goliathus, family Scarabaeidae: several species, in particular G. giganteus of Africa, which is the largest known beetle
- ‘The royal goliath beetle is a native of western Africa.’
- ‘In Africa there are the goliath beetles that can grow to a length of over five inches, where they noisily fly about looking for nectar and tree sap.’
- ‘There may be others out there, lurking in the jungle, that are even bigger than the goliath beetle.’
- ‘Scarab beetles like the goliath beetle help to recycle ‘used material’ and keep the earth a clean place to live.’
- ‘Of all the insects discovered so far, the goliath beetle is the world's record holder for size.’
goliath beetle/ɡəˌlʌɪəθ ˈbiːtl/
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.