One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who plays golf.
- ‘The majority of right-handed golfers prefer putts that break from right to left.’
- ‘Danny plays football with Garrymore senior team while Emily is an accomplished golfer with Claremorris Golf Club.’
- ‘Golf teachers say that golfers play better when they employ repeatable routines.’
- ‘Understanding the desires of both the developer and the golfer fuels the creative fire of most golf course architects.’
- ‘So the challenge to the golf industry is how to get this large pool of golfers back to the golf course.’
- ‘Mark Stevenson, the corporate sales manager at the golf course, said golfers having a go should be prepared to do lots of walking and straight drives.’
- ‘Tiger Woods might someday surpass Jack Nicklaus as the golfer who won the most majors.’
- ‘Mr Campbell has also treated a host of other sportsmen, ranging from golfers to rugby league players.’
- ‘What his friends on the PGA Tour say is that he's an excellent golfer playing excellent golf.’
- ‘Mr Magell served as president of Blackburn Rotary Club, was a keen golfer at Pleasington Golf Club, and did lots of work for charity.’
- ‘China has built many golf courses, but it hasn't really attracted the golfers yet.’
- ‘A golfer badly slices a golf ball, which heads toward the rough, but then bounces off a tree and into the cup for a hole in one.’
- ‘The surge of new golf construction has given golfers more playing options.’
- ‘The winners will be golfers who play for enjoyment - and the game of golf.’
- ‘Torrential rain could not dampen the enthusiasm of hundreds of golfers at Pike Hills Golf Club who have raised thousands of pounds for charity.’
- ‘The way he arrived on the scene, the way he drove the ball such long distances, he made people who weren't golfers or golf fans stand up and take notice.’
- ‘Most golfers today expect every square foot of the golf course to be manicured and playable.’
- ‘In the late 1980s the developers of Willoughby set out to create a golf course that focused on the needs of the average golfer.’
- ‘Coaching for junior golfers continues at Tubbercurry Golf Club.’
- ‘A trio of young golfers from Harrogate Golf Club won the national final of the British Heart Foundation junior golf championship.’
2British dated A cardigan.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.