Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small reddish-golden Eurasian carp, popular in ponds and aquaria. A long history of breeding in China and Japan has resulted in many varieties of form and colour.
- ‘Even the goldfish in the pond and the birds in the hedge seem listless and disinterested.’
- ‘Family pets, Holly the hamster and a goldfish were saved from the incident and the mum said she was very grateful to the fireman for that.’
- ‘Subtle movements under the surface were the goldfish that we'd stocked the pond with.’
- ‘It's actually really cheering having a goldfish around the place.’
- ‘Halle would be sure to hear the usual excuse, that it was necessary to feed the goldfish.’
- ‘I used to put a goldfish in a bowl and tap on the outside to observe the movements of the goldfish.’
- ‘The last time he had cried was in grade six, when his goldfish had died.’
- ‘The goldfish I'd won from the school carnival had died from starvation.’
- ‘Even the goldfish in the pond have been taking advantage of the sun today, while it lasts.’
- ‘At first, goldfish were kept in outside ponds and were not housed indoors until the late 1800s.’
- ‘If you are going away for a couple of weeks and are worried about who will feed the goldfish in the garden pond, don't worry.’
- ‘Max thought amusedly that his friend rather resembled a goldfish at that moment.’
- ‘Most goldfish are naturally hardy and require only a few conditions to keep them in good health.’
- ‘Anyway, if pet owners don't want to train their dogs out of annoying habits like chasing the postie, they should get a goldfish.’
- ‘You couldn't even commit to the idea of having a goldfish for a pet.’
- ‘A little boy who yearns for a fuzzy pet is not too thrilled to get a goldfish for his birthday.’
- ‘This is the size of a small swimming pool and is teeming with plump carp and goldfish.’
- ‘The heron resumed his beady-eyed stance, scanning the depths of the pond for an unwary goldfish.’
- ‘The boys used a net to lift the fish from the mud and took it to their mum, a keen fish keeper who already owns guppies, minnows and a goldfish.’
- ‘Our last goldfish had recently died and they didn't want another.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.