One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small reddish-golden Eurasian carp, popular in ponds and aquaria. A long history of breeding in China and Japan has resulted in many varieties of form and colour.
- ‘Even the goldfish in the pond and the birds in the hedge seem listless and disinterested.’
- ‘The boys used a net to lift the fish from the mud and took it to their mum, a keen fish keeper who already owns guppies, minnows and a goldfish.’
- ‘Family pets, Holly the hamster and a goldfish were saved from the incident and the mum said she was very grateful to the fireman for that.’
- ‘Even the goldfish in the pond have been taking advantage of the sun today, while it lasts.’
- ‘It's actually really cheering having a goldfish around the place.’
- ‘Most goldfish are naturally hardy and require only a few conditions to keep them in good health.’
- ‘The last time he had cried was in grade six, when his goldfish had died.’
- ‘You couldn't even commit to the idea of having a goldfish for a pet.’
- ‘This is the size of a small swimming pool and is teeming with plump carp and goldfish.’
- ‘Anyway, if pet owners don't want to train their dogs out of annoying habits like chasing the postie, they should get a goldfish.’
- ‘Our last goldfish had recently died and they didn't want another.’
- ‘I used to put a goldfish in a bowl and tap on the outside to observe the movements of the goldfish.’
- ‘Max thought amusedly that his friend rather resembled a goldfish at that moment.’
- ‘The goldfish I'd won from the school carnival had died from starvation.’
- ‘If you are going away for a couple of weeks and are worried about who will feed the goldfish in the garden pond, don't worry.’
- ‘Subtle movements under the surface were the goldfish that we'd stocked the pond with.’
- ‘At first, goldfish were kept in outside ponds and were not housed indoors until the late 1800s.’
- ‘The heron resumed his beady-eyed stance, scanning the depths of the pond for an unwary goldfish.’
- ‘A little boy who yearns for a fuzzy pet is not too thrilled to get a goldfish for his birthday.’
- ‘Halle would be sure to hear the usual excuse, that it was necessary to feed the goldfish.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.