One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The division of a line so that the whole is to the greater part as that part is to the smaller part (i.e. in a ratio of 1 to 1/2 (√5 + 1)), a proportion which is considered to be particularly pleasing to the eye.
- ‘This golden section has some relation to basic geometry that seems to resonate with a human's sense of beauty.’
- ‘Among his most prized possessions were his books of Plato, including the Timaeus in which the mathematical ratios of the golden section are described.’
- ‘Alicia Stott made two further important discoveries relating to constructions for polyhedra related to the golden section.’
- ‘So the phi by phi squares are themselves divided at their own golden section ratios by the side of the other overlapping square.’
- ‘Both shank and line are in turn struck through by a diagonal, recalling the harmonious proportions of a golden section.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.