One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A blind mole with an iridescent sheen to its coat, native to southern Africa.
Family Chrysochloridae: several genera and species
- ‘While the fossorial rodents are herbivores, typically feeding on roots and tubers, the talpid moles, golden moles and marsupial mole are largely insectivorous.’
- ‘Today these are represented by the elephants, the sea cows, the elephant shrews, the golden moles, the tenrecs and the aardvark.’
- ‘In 1957 a two-ounce golden mole, a native of Africa, was recorded moving a 21-pound iron cover in its enclosure.’
- ‘Scientists have long known that seismic communication is common in small animals, including spiders, scorpions, insects and a few vertebrate species, such as white-lipped frogs, kangaroo rats and golden moles.’
- ‘There have been no direct studies of hearing in golden moles or in the marsupial mole.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.