Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The ideal moderate position between two extremes.
middle way, middle course, middle ground, middle, mean, median, mid point, central point, centre, average, norm, standardView synonyms
- ‘Many of us fail to find the golden mean between excess and too little.’
- ‘Without yielding to the pressure, we should try to strike a golden mean.’
- ‘Perhaps the old doctrine of the golden mean still works.’
- ‘They have achieved the golden mean not only in terms of the price, but the taste as well.’
- ‘Now TAS is trying to strike a golden mean by blending the advantages of technology with the charm of the instruments, thavil, cello, triple drum, flute and jazz.’
2another term for golden section
- ‘Topics ranged from the golden mean, spirals, and tessellations to fractals, origami, and impressionist art.’
- ‘The golden section is also called the golden ratio, the golden mean and the divine proportion.’
- ‘Both of these are variously called the golden number or golden ratio, golden section, golden mean or the divine proportion.’
- ‘This proportion is known by many names: the golden ratio, the golden mean, PHI and the divine proportion, among others.’
- ‘I posit a connection to the golden mean via rectangles.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.