One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The ideal moderate position between two extremes.
middle way, middle course, middle ground, middle, mean, median, mid point, central point, centre, average, norm, standardView synonyms
- ‘Without yielding to the pressure, we should try to strike a golden mean.’
- ‘Many of us fail to find the golden mean between excess and too little.’
- ‘Now TAS is trying to strike a golden mean by blending the advantages of technology with the charm of the instruments, thavil, cello, triple drum, flute and jazz.’
- ‘They have achieved the golden mean not only in terms of the price, but the taste as well.’
- ‘Perhaps the old doctrine of the golden mean still works.’
2another term for golden section
- ‘This proportion is known by many names: the golden ratio, the golden mean, PHI and the divine proportion, among others.’
- ‘The golden section is also called the golden ratio, the golden mean and the divine proportion.’
- ‘Both of these are variously called the golden number or golden ratio, golden section, golden mean or the divine proportion.’
- ‘I posit a connection to the golden mean via rectangles.’
- ‘Topics ranged from the golden mean, spirals, and tessellations to fractals, origami, and impressionist art.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.