Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The fiftieth anniversary of a significant event.
- ‘He and Lettie celebrated their golden jubilee in 1999.’
- ‘It is especially poignant that such a rift should occur in the year the event celebrates its golden jubilee.’
- ‘The Kerry Federation of the ICA will celebrate its golden jubilee on June 19 with a dinner dance at the Earl of Desmond Hotel, Tralee.’
- ‘So let's hope that the golden jubilee is a huge success.’
- ‘The Kerry Blackface Sheep Breeders Association will celebrate its golden jubilee in some style next year.’
- ‘The golden jubilee was celebrated among family and friends.’
- ‘Best wishes and congratulations to Tim and Mai Ryan, Clydine, who celebrated the golden jubilee of their wedding recently.’
- ‘Participants are in hand for our golden jubilee celebrations in 2006.’
- ‘Some stamps are released during golden jubilees and centenary celebrations, while others are released in honour of individuals such as the one released on Tuesday.’
- ‘We wish Canon Richard every happiness and blessing in the times ahead and congratulate him on the occasion of his golden jubilee in the ministry.’
- ‘A family from Dromore West was reunited after almost 40 years, when their sister who is also a nun came home to celebrate her golden jubilee.’
- ‘Several relatives from ‘home’ travelled to England to join them on the occasion of their golden jubilee.’
- ‘Best wishes to Fr Neilus Horan who celebrated the golden jubilee of his ordination to the priesthood recently.’
- ‘The exhibition marked her golden jubilee as a member of the Royal Society of Miniature Painters, Sculptors and Gravers and her silver jubilee as president of it.’
- ‘It is not often that grandchildren see their four grandparents celebrate golden jubilees.’
- ‘This year marks the golden jubilee of its merger.’
- ‘A meeting to celebrate the golden jubilee was chaired by Peter Day from Southport, who was a minister at the church from 1969 to 1976.’
- ‘Prior to the commemoration of the golden jubilee, all the delegates will attend a gigantic Asian-African Summit in Jakarta.’
- ‘The Queen had asked that organisations or individuals wishing to celebrate the golden jubilee with some form of donation be encouraged to give to one or more of five nominated charities.’
- ‘Celebrations to mark the golden jubilee of Reynolds' pub and drapery store at Castle Street, Dunmore were held in the pub earlier this month.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.