One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substantial payment made by an employer to a keenly sought recruit.
fringe benefit, additional benefit, benefit, advantage, bonus, dividend, extra, plus, premium, consideration, rewardView synonyms
- ‘While golden hellos have had some effect, we do recognise that we need to do more to encourage dentists to work in rural areas.’
- ‘The idea that golden hellos were going to compensate for that stability was questionable.’
- ‘He added that Edinburgh had also looked at the possibility of golden hellos, but had instead decided to pay bursaries to final-year social work students who would then work two years for the council.’
- ‘An MoD spokeswoman confirmed it was launching golden hellos for consultants but said the details - including the full amount available - have not yet been finalised.’
- ‘Schools Minister David Miliband said: ‘In the four years since training bursaries and golden hellos were introduced, the sector's efforts have raised recruitment to teacher training courses by over 30 per cent.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.