One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in some soccer and hockey competitions) the first goal scored during extra time which ends the match and gives victory to the scoring side.
- ‘Koreans were queueing up to blast in the golden goal.’
- ‘Then we can all look forward to the simple torture of penalties and golden goals.’
- ‘The youngster had to be taken out of the ground on a stretcher but not before scoring a golden goal to take his side through to the final.’
- ‘Except that the organisers had decided that, in the case of extra time, a golden goal would count as two goals.’
- ‘Phillips further announced that it was now an offence for a player to take off his jersey in celebration after scoring a goal, and the golden goal rule had been done away with.’
- ‘Ashford Hockey Club lost 3-2 to Beckenham on the golden goal rule in the Hockey Association Cup first round on Sunday, writes Tony Flood.’
- ‘Bring on extra time, golden goals, penalties, failure, misery, despair, more typing for me.’
- ‘India's under-18 football team scores a golden goal in Wales.’
- ‘We've four minutes of stoppage time before the golden goal.’
- ‘Both teams took advantage of the extra space to create chances but it still took another four minutes until the golden goal was scored, O'Brien keeping his nerve to win it.’
- ‘Both sides came close in the second half but neither scored, and neither could find the golden goal in extra time, so it went to penalties.’
- ‘Thirty minutes of extra time failed to produce a golden goal - and then there was heartbreak when Spain clinched the agonising penalty shoot-out 3-2.’
- ‘At any time last Wednesday, Turkey might have snatched an equaliser which could have meant extra-time, a golden goal, even penalties.’
- ‘The Korean striker who scored the golden goal actually plays with the Italian football club Perugia.’
- ‘The game was dull, but ended disastrously for Red Star when Sartid scored a golden goal to win the cup in extra time.’
- ‘Extra time meant the chance to score a golden goal but despite chances at both ends the game moved into a tense penalty shoot-out.’
- ‘And on the previous day, Scotland scored a golden goal in the last 5 seconds of their game against Ireland.’
- ‘Cristiane Silva scored a golden goal just 21 seconds into extra time for the Brazilian women.’
- ‘Little did anyone know that Bierfhoff would reappear only 14 months later at the same stadium to score a golden goal for Germany in the Euro 1996 final.’
- ‘Only penalties and a golden goal have seen off Italy at World Cups since 1986.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.