One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural golden anniversaries
The fiftieth anniversary of a significant event, especially a couple's wedding.‘they celebrated their golden anniversary in December’‘the golden anniversary of the James Bond film franchise’
- ‘Music icons like The Rolling Stones and The Beach Boys are still making new music and touring the world, as they both did to celebrate golden anniversaries in 2012.’
- ‘A couple approaching their golden anniversary have thanked the Lord for 50 years of marital bliss.’
- ‘The theatre group will celebrate its golden anniversary with three productions.’
- ‘As the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 reaches its golden anniversary, major changes came into force today.’
- ‘One of the oldest housing estates in Newbridge continued its golden anniversary celebrations last week.’
- ‘Last year, to mark her golden anniversary with the service, she was invited to dine with the Queen at Normanby Hall.’
- ‘The president stood with congressional leaders, commemorating the golden anniversary of the historic civil rights day.’
- ‘Tramore have gone from strength to strength and their achievement of winning the local premier league in their golden anniversary year was the icing on the cake.’
- ‘They are wished health and happiness for the years ahead, so that they can have a wonderful golden anniversary.’
- ‘The really loving couples are not the radiant couple on their wedding day but those not so radiant-looking who celebrate their silver and golden anniversaries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.