One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very small Eurasian warbler with a black-bordered yellow or orange crest.
Regulus regulus, family Sylviidae
- ‘In fact well over a hundred species have been recorded in this country, ranging in size from goldcrest to grey heron and including geese.’
- ‘Tiny vivid goldcrests flurried about thistles, the cool descended, and I took the direct descent to the valley floor.’
- ‘Compared with the far more familiar goldcrest, this firecrest displayed considerably more striking plumage characteristics.’
- ‘The weather was perfect and many species of birds were spotted, including Ireland's smallest bird, the goldcrest, which was lured out of hiding by the playing of a tape of its song.’
- ‘Successful woodland species in the region, include chiffchaffs, great spotted woodpeckers and goldcrests.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.