One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very small Eurasian warbler with a black-bordered yellow or orange crest.
Regulus regulus, family Sylviidae
- ‘Compared with the far more familiar goldcrest, this firecrest displayed considerably more striking plumage characteristics.’
- ‘Tiny vivid goldcrests flurried about thistles, the cool descended, and I took the direct descent to the valley floor.’
- ‘Successful woodland species in the region, include chiffchaffs, great spotted woodpeckers and goldcrests.’
- ‘The weather was perfect and many species of birds were spotted, including Ireland's smallest bird, the goldcrest, which was lured out of hiding by the playing of a tape of its song.’
- ‘In fact well over a hundred species have been recorded in this country, ranging in size from goldcrest to grey heron and including geese.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.