One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Gold that has been beaten into a very thin sheet, used in gilding.
- ‘The entire panel was then covered in gesso and gold leaf while the image was painted on the sunken surface.’
- ‘In the new works, Bradford has also started using paint and gold leaf, as well as collaged text and images.’
- ‘They are sculptures carved out of wood, covered with gold leaf.’
- ‘Once the frame had been moulded, paper-thin gold leaf was applied to the wood over a thin layer of gesso plaster.’
- ‘Whilst I originally planned to make it black & gold using gold leaf, I quickly discovered that this was going to be an impractical way to do things.’
- ‘The watercolor illustration of men and women and landscapes was framed in gold, and the letters of the title were delicately hammered gold leaf.’
- ‘A small ebony throne, decorated with gold leaf and ivory is a poignant reminder of his extraordinary childhood.’
- ‘It was a nice sword, too: stainless steel covered with a coat of gold leaf.’
- ‘All three statues use a layer of lacquer between the wood and the exterior coat of gold leaf or pigment.’
- ‘The container finally is sealed with resin and can be topped off with a paint job or gold leaf.’
- ‘The modern gilders' tip is a brush made from long hairs set between two pieces of card, but earlier gold leaf was slightly thicker and so could be handled using a piece of card or parchment.’
- ‘The main section of the cross is made of dark-coloured wrought iron, highlighted by pieces of galvanised steel covered in gold leaf.’
- ‘Participants will prepare a panel or wall which they will work on over several days and will learn how to prepare paints, pigments, and gold leaf for application and ornament.’
- ‘He painted the wooden clock black and decorated it with gold leaf.’
- ‘The interior of this example is covered with gold leaf, emphasizing the sanctity and importance of the objects placed within.’
- ‘It doesn't have illustrations but it is very professionally done, using expensive parchment rather than paper and lots of gold leaf.’
- ‘Each bowl, coated with copper, silver, or gold leaf, contained beeswax to a depth of several inches, with a small trough incised at the center.’
- ‘Using gold leaf and multiple layers of oil paint and glaze, she explores themes of motherhood, love and loss.’
- ‘Two final works from the Glassell collection are wood carvings covered with gold paint rather than gold leaf.’
- ‘This means adding depth to each cut so that after the application of gesso, bole, and gold leaf the carved elements still have crisp definition.’
Apply a layer of gold leaf to.
- ‘It was gold-leafed completely, from the surface down to the eagle-claw legs.’
- ‘With its stained-glass skylight, marble floors and gold-leafed columns now restored, the opulent courthouse is once again garnering a reputation as something of a financial black hole.’
- ‘Today and Saturday, visitors can view this gorgeous historic site, plus the gold-leafed ballroom adorned with sparkling 18-foot-high Christmas trees, swags of evergreens and exquisite floral displays.’
- ‘Achim Moeller presented them in the ornate gold-leafed frames usually reserved for portable devotional paintings of the highest value.’
- ‘I'm not expecting to be particularly impressed by a religious icon, but my jaw drops at the size and imposing beauty of this colossal gold-leafed statue.’
- ‘It would cost the council £100 to buy the old lamps from the Gas Board, have them converted, painted and gold-leafed, a scheme which had already graced Peter Lane, The Three Cranes Passage, Scott's Passage and Straker's Passage.’
- ‘In the main auditorium, a dimmed incandescent downlight system provides house lighting, wood grill wall panels are accented with light, and gold-leafed fiberglass sconces are lit from within.’
- ‘We have peeled away the layers and found these: plaster crown moldings, a hidden doorway, oak doors that slide into the wall, a huge fireplace, gold-leafed wallpaper, a brick wall in the kitchen, a marble bathroom.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.