Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A framed golden disc awarded to a recording artist or group for sales of a recording exceeding a specified high figure.
- ‘Her 11-track album has reached gold disc status and all the songs on it were written by her while she was carrying her first child, Zeni.’
- ‘The reason I signed with Atlantic was because of the gold discs on the walls by people like Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin.’
- ‘Bandleader Glenn Miller was presented with the first gold disc, for selling more than one million copies of Chattanooga Choo Choo.’
- ‘On display in the foyer of the Courthouse is the gold disc awarded to Joolz for her artwork for the band's Thunder and Consolation album.’
- ‘Groups which release sample tracks in MP3 format are the ones who get the gold disc awards - and the revenue that goes with it.’
- ‘‘A Touch of Class’, ‘Golden Moments’, ‘Legends’ and ‘From the Heart’ have all commanded huge sales and earned him gold discs.’
- ‘The adult-only comedian has sold £3 million of videos in the in UK as well as gaining gold discs for his albums.’
- ‘He has been awarded a string of platinum and gold discs as well as numerous Lifetime Achievement awards, including a Grammy nomination, and has performed all over the world.’
- ‘The Horse Shoe Bar is also home to the gold disc Travis earned for their million-selling album The Man Who.’
- ‘Artists have provided exclusive tracks for the site, launching with Coldplay and George Michael, as well as competition prizes such as unique gold discs and digital music players.’
- ‘A run of chart hits in the 1970s earned her a first gold disc for The Barbara Dickson Album.’
- ‘I locked my guitars and gold discs away, the mere sight of them making me bitter beyond belief.’
- ‘Aggro Berlin, the independent record label that has made hard its trademark, has had two gold discs in the past year.’
- ‘It's a nice gaff, very McCartney in its cosiness, particularly the big upstairs room to which we convene, which is wood panelled and homely, with gold discs on the wall, and framed magazine covers, and a few paintings, perhaps by him.’
- ‘Last autumn they belatedly received gold discs - 12 years late - for the 500,000 sales of their albums Endangered Species and Diminished Responsibility.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.