Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A leaf beetle with metallic gold coloration.→ goldbug
- ‘They are sometimes called gold beetles because of the metallic sheen produced by their carapace.’
- ‘A couple of those Rivenese gold beetles ought to tell for sure.’
- ‘These pheromones were effective to trap large numbers of Hirata blue, pale brown and spotted back gold beetles.’
- ‘There is a group of North American beetles that have a golden metallic luster, which are sometimes called gold beetles.’
- ‘Relatives of the tropical gold beetles, such as the green and silver-striped scarab known as Plusiotis gloriosa, are found here in North America.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.