Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A woman who forms relationships with men purely to obtain money or gifts from them.‘girls who go out with men your age are just gold-diggers!’
- ‘From the moment I set eyes on her, I knew she was a gold-digger.’
- ‘So are women who fight rich husbands for half their wealth gold-diggers trading on someone else's genius, or trail-blazers for female equality?’
- ‘Well actually put it like this, Mirella was a gold-digger and I hated her.’
- ‘So there is one problem he did not face - wondering if his bride is a gold-digger.’
- ‘Being a gold-digger at heart, she soon dumps him for his rich daddy, Frank, who is lonely and vulnerable.’
- ‘In the Coen brothers' Intolerable Cruelty she plays a gold-digger using pre-nuptial agreements to hopscotch her way to riches.’
- ‘The men complain about gold-diggers who are just trolling for millionaires.’
- ‘She may not be a gold-digger, but she's after attention and fame.’
- ‘‘Michael's brother Billy asked me once or twice if I was a gold-digger, but I told him that I have my own money,’ Anna laughs.’
- ‘Not only did he have to bat away the gold-diggers and clingers, he also had to deal with the women that were merely with him to earn notoriety and a reputation in the eyes of world's press.’
- ‘I thought both programmes were about egomaniacs, and I fail to see the heroism in a bunch of gold-diggers playing silly games on a sunny island.’
- ‘She's not a gold-digger, if that's what you mean!’
- ‘In your lifetime as a woman, there will be people queuing up at one time or another to call you nutty, a tart, a gold-digger, and worse; why give them a helping hand?’
- ‘She was a gold-digger at the simplest meaning of the word: She had no love for her husband, she married him simply upon his wealth.’
- ‘‘And he loves telling women he is a millionaire so the only types he ever meets are gold-diggers,’ she said.’
- ‘Or what about the wealthy senior who married a gorgeous gold-digger decades younger than him?’
- ‘And men avoid gold-diggers by giving only gifts that have no intrinsic value.’
- ‘Their results show that offering an expensive present signals the man's serious intentions, but he must be wary of being exploited by gold-diggers who will dump him after receiving the gift.’
- ‘He says his ad in the International Herald Tribune has been carefully designed to ward off fraudsters or gold-diggers.’
- ‘Catherine Zeta Jones plays a gold-digger who marries for money when she falls for a divorce lawyer in her latest movie Intolerable Cruelty.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.