Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A male godchild.‘Freddie was a godson of his father's closest friend’
- ‘His godson, BBC broadcaster Jamie Owen, also paid a fluent and amusing anecdotal tribute to ‘the best godfather you could have’, a man equally at home walking with presidents, prime ministers or paupers.’
- ‘With all the godsons and honorary nieces and nephews I have, it should be enough.’
- ‘This is a lifelong relationship, and many godparents have managed to reconnect with their godson or goddaughter.’
- ‘Below me, my godson and his father waited on the flat haugh land.’
- ‘His daughter was disinherited, and what little was left of Lovelace's possessions passed to his godsons.’
- ‘Happy birthday to my godson, Darrius.’
- ‘At least as I walk away from this graduation Friday night I will know that my godson will be pursuing his own goals with the full support of his parents and family, in my opinion the greatest gift they could give to him.’
- ‘When Arthur Price passed away in 1752, he left Richard Guinness and his godson Arthur £100 each.’
- ‘He's your godson after all, I'm sure you can find something to talk about for five minutes.’
- ‘Slowly, Dummy regains both his voice and his confidence, and finally, in a fairy-tale ending, even his identity when King Richard recognizes him as his long-lost godson.’
- ‘And I must say my godson, my partner's eldest, shares my anger.’
- ‘His Tony is a sad-faced, world-weary, consumptive character with little to live for or care about seemingly other than his godson.’
- ‘Our friends Katherine and Chuck, the parents of my godson Michael and goddaughter Kate, were our witnesses as we became the first gay couple in history to marry in a United Church of Canada.’
- ‘I think, for instance, of my godson, who works in a demanding London-based consultancy job, and whose working hours, and the pressure on him, have made it very difficult for him to enjoy any kind of social life.’
- ‘The other half of the ‘we’ is Len Carlman, my longtime friend, attorney, and father of my godson.’
- ‘Larry puts up with Brenda, my buddy since - well, always - and Travis is their son, my godson, and a brand new Eagle Scout.’
- ‘I want him to see my 5-year-old son, his godson, growing to become the extraordinary person he is.’
- ‘The couple met when Sandra toured the ‘Monster Garage’ set with her young godson.’
- ‘Curiously, O'Reilly was initially uncontactable when asked to share his emotions on this latest twist to his godson's fortunes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.