Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A male godchild:‘Freddie was a godson of his father's closest friend’
- ‘When Arthur Price passed away in 1752, he left Richard Guinness and his godson Arthur £100 each.’
- ‘His godson, BBC broadcaster Jamie Owen, also paid a fluent and amusing anecdotal tribute to ‘the best godfather you could have’, a man equally at home walking with presidents, prime ministers or paupers.’
- ‘This is a lifelong relationship, and many godparents have managed to reconnect with their godson or goddaughter.’
- ‘His daughter was disinherited, and what little was left of Lovelace's possessions passed to his godsons.’
- ‘Below me, my godson and his father waited on the flat haugh land.’
- ‘I think, for instance, of my godson, who works in a demanding London-based consultancy job, and whose working hours, and the pressure on him, have made it very difficult for him to enjoy any kind of social life.’
- ‘His Tony is a sad-faced, world-weary, consumptive character with little to live for or care about seemingly other than his godson.’
- ‘Our friends Katherine and Chuck, the parents of my godson Michael and goddaughter Kate, were our witnesses as we became the first gay couple in history to marry in a United Church of Canada.’
- ‘Larry puts up with Brenda, my buddy since - well, always - and Travis is their son, my godson, and a brand new Eagle Scout.’
- ‘And I must say my godson, my partner's eldest, shares my anger.’
- ‘Curiously, O'Reilly was initially uncontactable when asked to share his emotions on this latest twist to his godson's fortunes.’
- ‘With all the godsons and honorary nieces and nephews I have, it should be enough.’
- ‘The other half of the ‘we’ is Len Carlman, my longtime friend, attorney, and father of my godson.’
- ‘He's your godson after all, I'm sure you can find something to talk about for five minutes.’
- ‘I want him to see my 5-year-old son, his godson, growing to become the extraordinary person he is.’
- ‘Slowly, Dummy regains both his voice and his confidence, and finally, in a fairy-tale ending, even his identity when King Richard recognizes him as his long-lost godson.’
- ‘The couple met when Sandra toured the ‘Monster Garage’ set with her young godson.’
- ‘At least as I walk away from this graduation Friday night I will know that my godson will be pursuing his own goals with the full support of his parents and family, in my opinion the greatest gift they could give to him.’
- ‘Happy birthday to my godson, Darrius.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.