One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who presents a child at baptism and promises to take responsibility for their religious education.
- ‘The family unit includes godchildren, godparents, and many other members of the extended family.’
- ‘Close family friends or relatives are chosen as godparents and participate in the religious ceremony.’
- ‘We're not Christians, so she doesn't have godparents, but having a ‘spiritual family’ comes pretty close.’
- ‘Among other responsibilities, they are expected to be godparents to the couple's children.’
- ‘In fact they are the godparents of my son, born in Santa Cruz some twenty years ago.’
- ‘Technically, some churches still insist godparents make a commitment towards the child's religious adherence.’
- ‘The parents and godparents renounce Satan and profess their faith.’
- ‘We invite family, godparents and mentors to join in the laying on of hands on confirmation Sunday.’
- ‘This sponsorship creates a relationship not only between the child and the godparents but also between the child's parents and the godparents.’
- ‘After the baptismal ceremony, the parents, godparents, child, and guests returned to a family home for a celebratory meal.’
- ‘As a godparent, I now have responsibilities towards him and will take a special interest in his development and life.’
- ‘The godparents were Nicola Coomey and Keith Kelly.’
- ‘This is a lifelong relationship, and many godparents have managed to reconnect with their godson or goddaughter.’
- ‘The godparents promise to lead the child in the way of the Lord.’
- ‘The commitment that the godparents make includes providing advice and spiritual guidance to the godchild.’
- ‘At the baptism, the Christian godparent would answer the questions that imply Christian belief.’
- ‘Karen becomes responsible for Jacob's upbringing and becomes his godparent.’
- ‘Even in a ‘private’ baptism, the godparents represent the community of faith.’
- ‘Parents select godparents for their children's baptism, confirmation, and marriage.’
- ‘When a child is ready for baptism, the parents first select the godparents.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.