Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Devoutly religious; pious:‘how to live the godly life’
religious, devout, pious, reverent, faithful, devoted, committed, believing, god-fearing, dutiful, saintly, holy, prayerful, churchgoing, practisingView synonyms
- ‘Indeed, if God were to lift His Spirit from on-fire churches and godly believers, our nation would be a raging hell.’
- ‘Job, as a godly father, prayed for the spiritual well-being of his family.’
- ‘It is incumbent on Christian families to ensure the godly, biblical education of their young people.’
- ‘It surely is not because we are more godly, holy and mature than our friend ever was.’
- ‘Instead, they directed the church to choose godly men who would be capable of resolving the issue.’
- ‘To that extent The Book Against God is not against God or the godly, although it offers no comfort to either.’
- ‘Then, when we come up against difficulties and controversies, we are ready with a wise and godly response.’
- ‘But so seldom do we hear of a godly woman - or of a godly man either, for that matter.’
- ‘To them he was an intriguing miracle worker who dazzled the masses with amazing demonstrations of godly power.’
- ‘Let us conclude by saying there are godly methods of conducting controversy as well as ungodly methods.’
- ‘Whereas godly joy may be our strength, godly sorrow serves for our sanctification.’
- ‘What was emphasised all round was the priority of preaching the gospel supported by godly living.’
- ‘Christ rose for each of us, that we might rise above our sin through forgiveness, and live godly lives.’
- ‘These misdirected desires oppose our godly identity and constantly threaten to overwhelm it.’
- ‘They have nothing to do with spiritual knowledge or godly religious life.’
- ‘Women have contributed an immense amount to church and mission, and PNG still needs godly women.’
- ‘His faith in God was more than talk; it was expressed by godly living.’
- ‘Hindus do not bury their dead, except infant children and godly saints.’
- ‘What matters is the sacrifice of godly privilege for the lowliness of humanity, irrespective of gender.’
- ‘In light of the Word of God does it not follow to reason that true godly music that worships and exalts the Lord Jesus Christ will be rejected by the world?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.