One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, usually marine fish that typically has a sucker on the underside.
Family Gobiidae: numerous genera and species
- ‘This consists of killifishes, herrings, sardines, gobies, silversides, anchovies small mullets, and lizardfishes to name a few.’
- ‘A shallow-water Caribbean tank showcases a green moray eel, gobies, and collections of Caribbean algae.’
- ‘Marine gobies are typically bottom-dwelling fish that live in shallow water.’
- ‘The black goby is a coastal fish inhabiting sandy environments and frequently entering brackish lagoons and estuaries.’
- ‘We tested for such a preference in a fish, the two-spotted goby (Gobiusculus flavescens, Gobiidae), for which a male preference for colorful females has been demonstrated.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin gobius, from Greek kōbios, denoting some kind of small fish.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.