Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A column-shaped cell found in the respiratory and intestinal tracts, which secretes the main component of mucus.
- ‘In addition, histologically malignant glandular structures lined by simple nonciliated columnar cells with goblet cells were found clustered in the center of the tumor.’
- ‘In the large proximal airways, goblet cells secrete mucus, which traps deposited particles and is then propelled upwards by ciliated cells to be either expectorated or swallowed.’
- ‘The beating movement of the cilia helps to shift upwards and outwards any foreign particles which adhere to a layer of mucus secreted from interspersed goblet cells.’
- ‘Although human airway smooth muscle is not sympathetically innervated, other cells in the airways that may impact airway function are goblet cells and mucus glands.’
- ‘Ocular mucins are secreted by conjunctival goblet cells and epithelial cells of the ocular surface and by the lachrymal glands.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.