Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small pointed beard like that of a goat.
facial hair, whiskers, stubble, designer stubble, five o'clock shadow, bristlesView synonyms
- ‘Find out all of the latest trends in moustaches, beards, goatees, sideburns and soul patches.’
- ‘When guys shave off beards and goatees, their chin looks like it's had plastic surgery performed on it.’
- ‘But the people there are so ‘hip’ and ‘cool’, what with their loud music and cool clothing, their goatees and low-cut skirts.’
- ‘I invaded the circle of light, speculated about their faces bristling with sideburns and goatees.’
- ‘He started off with a neat goatee but now dons a beard to get into character.’
- ‘Carefully trimming, shaving and shaping one's facial hair can achieve a never-ending multitude of looks, such as handlebar moustaches, goatees and designer sideburns.’
- ‘Bernie fingered a sable goatee wistfully, then turned back to the budget beards.’
- ‘Women may have makeup but we have something natural; facial hair that can change our look for the better, with beards and goatees.’
- ‘With so many celebrities sporting moustaches, beards, goatees and soul spots, facial hair has never been more popular.’
- ‘Does our tour really need goatees, mustaches, beards?’
- ‘It's not one of those baseball beards, the goatees that suddenly make middle-aged men think they look like ballplayers, but a real beard - the full kind that climbs down a man of winter's throat, untrimmed.’
- ‘It was a tattered, ring-bound thing from the early seventies with a lurid photo of some hippy, with a goatee beard and two-foot long sideburns, sitting cross-legged on the cover.’
- ‘Make sure that the goatee remains neat and trimmed, and avoid imitating the father of all goatees - the goat himself.’
- ‘In my first vid, I was very groomed, with the sideburns and the goatee.’
- ‘Jazz fusion, you think of ponytails and goatees and all that.’
- ‘The man is described as aged 18 to 20, of medium build, dark European or black, with short black hair and a goatee beard or moustache.’
- ‘Facial hair - mustaches, goatees, sideburns are big.’
- ‘Although a little outdated now, goatees are still go (terrible pun intended) for some guys - in particular, those with narrow faces, longer chins and an all over slightly unkempt look.’
- ‘The theme park requires that the male performers cannot have goatees or beards.’
- ‘He has short black hair which is tight and curly, sideburns and a goatee beard.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.