One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Oil made from the fat of a goanna (monitor lizard), regarded as a bush panacea.‘he questioned the merits of goanna oil in curing sundry ills of the flesh’
- ‘Goanna oil was a popular remedy for many complaints.’
- ‘I met an old chap who used to grease his camp oven with goanna oil.’
- ‘She had rubbed goanna oil on their faces, necks, and limbs.’
- ‘Our industrial chemists have at last managed to refine the goanna oil to such a level that we are guaranteed a world market.’
- ‘You may be able to alleviate the problem by soaking it in goanna oil.’
- ‘Aussies use goanna salve, made from goanna oil, as a household remedy.’
- ‘I'm not sure how anyone discovered that goanna oil brightens shower screens.’
- ‘Many bush-dwellers will have been aware for generations of the alleged scientific merits of goanna oil in curing sundry ills the flesh is heir to.’
- ‘It is genuine goanna oil and it is the best.’
- ‘This brush with cancer had to be treated with a cancer brush and also a bottle of "goanna oil".’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.