Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A goalkeeper, especially in ice hockey.→ goalie
- ‘Richter recorded nine postseason shutouts as the Rangers goaltender.’
- ‘Talking about the challenges and pressures he faced, O'Connell then worked his way through the coaches, forwards, defensemen and goaltenders and told them what they have to overcome.’
- ‘Sure, but the best defensemen and goaltenders would be up against the best of the offense.’
- ‘‘I used to be a stand-up goaltender,’ says Rangers and Team USA goalie Mike Richter.’
- ‘But most coaches, Sutter included, say their best penalty killer is their goaltender.’
- ‘And since its hard-bitten goaltender turned in three shutouts in the first round, the team's fans have turned rabid in the heat.’
- ‘Several defensemen and goaltenders were equally deserving of consideration because of their critical importance to their teams' success.’
- ‘Teams have gone overseas to find battle-tested goaltenders and seasoned puck-handling defensemen to help run the power play.’
- ‘You still have to protect the goaltender - especially from incidental contact in the crease because goalies are fair game again.’
- ‘After that, the rule was changed to specify that a goaltender must defend against a penalty shot.’
- ‘Here's a look at the goaltenders, defensemen and forwards who might never be in such a precarious spot again.’
- ‘But one NHL team official says comparing different cities' prices is like comparing goaltenders to defensemen.’
- ‘Apparently, some of the Avalanche goaltender's playoff magic has rubbed off on rookie left winger Alex Tanguay, who has lived in Roy's basement all season.’
- ‘I remember being goaltender for most of the year because I was back-up goalie and the goaltender got the measles for most of the season.’
- ‘The game's dominant wingers play the right side, and a right-catching goaltender can be a tough puzzle for shooters to solve.’
- ‘His quickness in going to the net often catches defensemen and goaltenders asleep.’
- ‘Much like goaltenders, defensemen mature slowly.’
- ‘They know how many times he has been whacked and hacked by opposing defensemen and goaltenders.’
- ‘Each team can protect players under one of the two following combinations: one goaltender, five defensemen and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen and seven forwards.’
- ‘He notes other ways goaltenders cheat - such as wearing their goalie pads loose so they drop in a way that covers the net better, even when they can't get into position.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.