One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player in soccer or field hockey whose special role is to stop the ball from entering the goal.
- ‘The goalkeepers were under such pressure, no wonder they conceded goals.’
- ‘Solano clipped the ball past the isolated goalkeeper to score into an empty net.’
- ‘Goals are scored by throwing the ball past the opposing goalkeeper into the net.’
- ‘Even a training game goal is a personal defeat for the goalkeepers.’
- ‘In Gaelic football, goalkeepers will continue to use plastic tees.’
- ‘As he reached the penalty area he calmly slotted the ball past the goalkeeper.’
- ‘It is worth a risk because the goalkeeper was out of his goal and it worked.’
- ‘He is also targeting a senior goalkeeper and has a few names on his short-list to consider.’
- ‘Excluding goalkeepers, what is the longest stretch of games a player has played without scoring for his own team?’
- ‘Last night it was much more haphazard, so much so that it ended with a goalkeeper scoring the winner.’
- ‘The Italian goalkeeper had no chance with the first two goals but he might have done better with the third.’
- ‘That must include 16 who are available to play, 14 outfield players and two goalkeepers.’
- ‘He argues that because goalkeepers can handle the ball in the penalty area, they therefore should not be allowed to kick the ball outside of it.’
- ‘Both sides started well with play flowing up and down the pitch and shots on both goals testing the goalkeepers.’
- ‘He's the best goalkeeper and has played in goal for a long time and not let us down.’
- ‘I think if we are relying on goalkeepers scoring goals then I won't be long in this business.’
- ‘There have been some excellent goalkeepers in English football over the years.’
- ‘My favourite used to be the goalkeepers who caught the ball under the crossbar and then managed to kick it out from the edge of the box.’
- ‘I understand that the goalkeepers are the only players allowed to handle the ball.’
- ‘He generates great power and bend on the ball which always deceives goalkeepers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.