One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The difference between the number of goals scored for and against a team in a series of matches, sometimes used in deciding the team's position in a table.
- ‘So, it is as you were in the table, with Wigan leading the way on goal difference only from Sunderland, with Ipswich a further three points behind.’
- ‘The reigning league champions are tied with three other teams on six points but lead the table on better goal difference.’
- ‘The two sides both have 84 points but Wigan's superior goal difference means they need only to match Ipswich's result to go up.’
- ‘This time they wowed the world - but still went out of the World Cup on goal difference.’
- ‘Well clearly the team with the worst goal difference in the division needs some addressing at the back, first and foremost.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.