Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The ratio of the numbers of goals scored for and against a team in a series of matches, sometimes used in deciding the team's position in a table.‘the first club to win the league on goal average’
- ‘The team with the highest goal average progressed automatically to the final and we were three goals short of having the highest average.’
- ‘The goal average saw both the men's and women's teams for Army into first place for the competition.’
- ‘Six goals was no good for our goal average but, on the other hand, it could have been 12.’
- ‘They were desperately unlucky in 1965, losing the league title on goal average to Manchester United and being beaten in the FA Cup final in extra time by Liverpool.’
- ‘Though the series was drawn 1-1, India won the Videocon Cup on the basis of better goal average.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.