One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ratio of the numbers of goals scored for and against a team in a series of matches, sometimes used in deciding the team's position in a table.‘the first club to win the league on goal average’
- ‘Though the series was drawn 1-1, India won the Videocon Cup on the basis of better goal average.’
- ‘Six goals was no good for our goal average but, on the other hand, it could have been 12.’
- ‘The goal average saw both the men's and women's teams for Army into first place for the competition.’
- ‘The team with the highest goal average progressed automatically to the final and we were three goals short of having the highest average.’
- ‘They were desperately unlucky in 1965, losing the league title on goal average to Manchester United and being beaten in the FA Cup final in extra time by Liverpool.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.