One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ratio of the numbers of goals scored for and against a team in a series of matches, sometimes used in deciding the team's position in a table.‘the first club to win the league on goal average’
- ‘The goal average saw both the men's and women's teams for Army into first place for the competition.’
- ‘They were desperately unlucky in 1965, losing the league title on goal average to Manchester United and being beaten in the FA Cup final in extra time by Liverpool.’
- ‘Six goals was no good for our goal average but, on the other hand, it could have been 12.’
- ‘The team with the highest goal average progressed automatically to the final and we were three goals short of having the highest average.’
- ‘Though the series was drawn 1-1, India won the Videocon Cup on the basis of better goal average.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.