One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deteriorate shockingly.‘the country is going to the dogs’
deteriorate, be in decline, degenerate, decayView synonyms
- ‘I do not believe that our economy has gone to the dogs as a mistake.’
- ‘When the factories closed, everything went to the dogs.’
- ‘They feel that their countries have gone to the dogs under the leadership of the present generation of politicians.’
- ‘As Anna and I used to say at work, this place has gone to the dogs.’
- ‘Everybody had to run hard to keep up the real level of their own earnings, while the country went to the dogs.’
- ‘But, to be honest, I'm not stupid, that team has gone to the dogs.’
- ‘Although the city has developed by leaps and bounds over the years, the cleanliness for which it was known has gone to the dogs, says the collector.’
- ‘Law and order went to the dogs after the Whitlam social experiments of excessive welfare, booming populations of single mothers, poor discipline in schools.’
- ‘Unfortunately not only the army but the country also eventually went to the dogs.’
- ‘As an adult I love wearing them now my eyesight has gone to the dogs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.