One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deteriorate shockingly.‘the country is going to the dogs’
deteriorate, be in decline, degenerate, decayView synonyms
- ‘Although the city has developed by leaps and bounds over the years, the cleanliness for which it was known has gone to the dogs, says the collector.’
- ‘As Anna and I used to say at work, this place has gone to the dogs.’
- ‘As an adult I love wearing them now my eyesight has gone to the dogs.’
- ‘When the factories closed, everything went to the dogs.’
- ‘They feel that their countries have gone to the dogs under the leadership of the present generation of politicians.’
- ‘Unfortunately not only the army but the country also eventually went to the dogs.’
- ‘I do not believe that our economy has gone to the dogs as a mistake.’
- ‘But, to be honest, I'm not stupid, that team has gone to the dogs.’
- ‘Everybody had to run hard to keep up the real level of their own earnings, while the country went to the dogs.’
- ‘Law and order went to the dogs after the Whitlam social experiments of excessive welfare, booming populations of single mothers, poor discipline in schools.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.