One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a recording) achieve sales meriting a platinum disc.
- ‘Salt ‘N’ Pepa were the only group to go platinum, but they went platinum off a pop record like ‘Push It.’’
- ‘Alien Ant Farm also was on the tour as an opener, and a few weeks in, their record got huge and went platinum, so they wanted to play after us.’
- ‘They have sold an incredible 30 million records worldwide and have gone platinum in more than 20 countries.’
- ‘Their debut CD, entitled Sunsets and Car Crashes, was released on 111 Records in late 2003, and though it hasn't gone platinum, or even gold, the people who own it will tell you it's too good to wait for that kind of publicity.’
- ‘With a fan base in the UK and south east Asia, where 20 of their records have gone platinum, organisers are hoping 911 will help draw in the crowds.’
- ‘Given that Brightman's records have gone platinum 10 times over in Taiwan - more than any other country on the planet - she wasn't going to stay away for long.’
- ‘Three of her albums have gone double platinum and one has gone gold.’
- ‘The cruise work made her a household name and put her in the Guinness Book of Records when her debut album went platinum before release.’
- ‘An album goes platinum when it represents 1 million units in sales, with a manufacturer's dollar volume of at least $2 million based on 33.33% of suggested list price.’
- ‘The soundtrack album went platinum, the single was a million - seller and won 29-year-old Hayes an Oscar in 1972 for Best Film Song, making him the first black artist to bag that award.’
- ‘On his return from New York his album is released and quickly goes platinum notching up sales of 300,000.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.