One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Go wrong.‘everything went pear-shaped’
fail, meet with failure, meet with disaster, miscarry, go wrong, go awry, fall through, fall flat, be frustrated, break down, collapse, founder, fold, come to nothing, come to naughtView synonyms
- ‘By the time it all went pear-shaped in 1991, I was long gone.’
- ‘After 25 minutes, all went pear-shaped and he decided to call it off.’
- ‘This required some input from me and everything started to go pear-shaped.’
- ‘The home player should have won the opening game but as so often happens to their team this season, everything went pear-shaped at the end.’
- ‘It could have gone pear-shaped when we went a goal down but they stuck with us all the way.’
- ‘And then the tennis started and it all went pear-shaped.’
- ‘All our lives went off at a tangent for a while - it all went pear-shaped.’
- ‘The responsibility of course would also be all mine if it went pear-shaped.’
- ‘It all went pear-shaped when she developed a £100,000 cocaine habit and was eased out by the writers.’
- ‘Presumably this was an undercover operation that went pear-shaped.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.