One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Lose one's self-control, typically as a result of anger or excitement.‘the home crowd were going mental’
- ‘The TV has gone mental too - keeps switching from channel to channel willy nilly.’
- ‘The uncertainty of employment can make someone go mental.’
- ‘By day nine or 10 I was starting to go mental. "’
- ‘For five weeks of the year everyone goes mental.’
- ‘For three weeks every summer the city of Edinburgh goes mental.’
- ‘Edward went mental on the beach, racing around trying to get warm.’
- ‘In this, the year 2000, music has gone mental.’
- ‘The entire crowd going mental right through the encore!’
- ‘I didn't really know how to handle an audience that were going mental.’
- ‘I must be going mental, she thought sadly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.