One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be unsuccessful, lost, or wasted.‘the company went down the plughole’
- ‘If the company became insolvent and pension contributions went down the plughole, workers would not receive any state aid, trustees argued.’
- ‘‘Your money is going straight down the plughole and we all have every reason to be furious about it,’ he said.’
- ‘However, it's a crucial step because, without it, all your plans can go down the plughole.’
- ‘The pressure was building because so much had been achieved and now it was threatening to go down the plughole.’
- ‘Your money, ladies and gentlemen, is going straight down the plughole - and we all have every reason to be furious about it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.