One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be unsuccessful, lost, or wasted.‘the company went down the plughole’
- ‘However, it's a crucial step because, without it, all your plans can go down the plughole.’
- ‘Your money, ladies and gentlemen, is going straight down the plughole - and we all have every reason to be furious about it.’
- ‘The pressure was building because so much had been achieved and now it was threatening to go down the plughole.’
- ‘If the company became insolvent and pension contributions went down the plughole, workers would not receive any state aid, trustees argued.’
- ‘‘Your money is going straight down the plughole and we all have every reason to be furious about it,’ he said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.