One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of an article) be available because unwanted by others.‘there was a spare aircraft going begging’
surplus, surplus to requirements, superfluous, too many, too much, supernumerary, excessive, in excess, going beggingView synonyms
- ‘‘We are a country of the last minute,’ said Cesare Vaciago, director general of the Turin organising committee, in response to reports in the last fortnight that 370,000 of the one million available tickets were still going begging.’
- 1.1 (of an opportunity) fail to be taken.‘the home side had themselves to blame as chances went begging’
unutilized, not made use of, unemployed, unexploited, not in service, non-functioningView synonyms
- ‘This was a wake up call for the brothers and they started to convert the opportunities that had earlier gone begging.’
- ‘He wasn't so foolish to talk about all the opportunities that went begging.’
- ‘They missed the chance to go ahead after seven minutes when a penalty opportunity went begging.’
- ‘Chance after chance went begging in the second half.’
- ‘Although they scored four tries, at least five other golden scoring opportunities went begging.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.