One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Become very angry or excited.‘your kids will go ape over these frozen pops!’
mad, crazy, insane, out of one's mind, hysterical, beside oneself, frenzied, crazed, demented, maniacal, manic, frantic, wound up, worked up, raving, wildView synonyms
- ‘Mind you, most of Europe went ape over the election, and it doubled my fun.’
- ‘Aileen is played by Charlize Theron in a performance that everybody's going ape over, and it's easy to see why.’
- ‘Charlie went ape, he hurled the planter at the lounge door, the wood splintered, cracked.’
- ‘Barney brought Ronnie over and the fans went ape.’
- ‘When the reactionaries saw that issue they went ape.’
- ‘It was a hit, but people didn't exactly go ape over it.’
- ‘He went ape when he netted against his former club ten minutes from time after he flicked the ball up with his left foot and rammed it into the net with his right.’
- ‘He will go ape and beat his opponents down.’
- ‘Kelly went ape, ridiculed such a notion and sent the man packing from his premises.’
- ‘In a desperate bid to regain his ascendancy he threatened their actual incomes; and the party room went ape.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.