One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Become very angry or excited.‘your kids will go ape over these frozen pops!’
mad, crazy, insane, out of one's mind, hysterical, beside oneself, frenzied, crazed, demented, maniacal, manic, frantic, wound up, worked up, raving, wildView synonyms
- ‘Aileen is played by Charlize Theron in a performance that everybody's going ape over, and it's easy to see why.’
- ‘In a desperate bid to regain his ascendancy he threatened their actual incomes; and the party room went ape.’
- ‘Barney brought Ronnie over and the fans went ape.’
- ‘It was a hit, but people didn't exactly go ape over it.’
- ‘When the reactionaries saw that issue they went ape.’
- ‘Charlie went ape, he hurled the planter at the lounge door, the wood splintered, cracked.’
- ‘He went ape when he netted against his former club ten minutes from time after he flicked the ball up with his left foot and rammed it into the net with his right.’
- ‘Kelly went ape, ridiculed such a notion and sent the man packing from his premises.’
- ‘Mind you, most of Europe went ape over the election, and it doubled my fun.’
- ‘He will go ape and beat his opponents down.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.