One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A crested long-tailed African bird of the turaco family, with mainly grey plumage and a call that resembles the words ‘go away’.Also called lourie in South Africa
- ‘These noisy birds are also sometimes referred to us go-away birds and they act as the eyes of the herds.’
- ‘The gray go-away bird is 18 to 20 inches in length and weighs from 7.1 to 12 ounces.’
- ‘I would tell them all about butcher birds, go-away birds and, of course, all the fabulous birds of prey.’
- ‘The white-bellied go-away bird is a familiar and very conspicuous sight in some parts of East Africa.’
- ‘Certain of the grayish species are called go-away birds, in imitation of their calls.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.