One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the jaws.
- ‘Finally, snakes use gnathic (jaw-based) transport mechanisms, in which kinetic elements of the jaw apparatus are used to ratchet prey into and through the mouth.’
- ‘The study was conducted using a maxillomandibular model which simulated the shape and thickness of the gnathic mucosa, and the pressure displacement properties of healthy edentulous patients.’
- ‘To date no successful attempt has been made for high-precision reproduction of gnathic motion on the basis of the gathered data.’
- ‘In gnathic bones, the pattern is characterized by the presence of significant amounts of sclerotic bone, however, bone trabeculae are discontinuous.’
- ‘Hominoids consist of seven dental and gnathic specimens, reviewed by Leakey and Walker.’
Late 19th century: from Greek gnathos ‘jaw’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.