One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The art or scientific study of gem engraving.
- ‘The special art of gem engraving is called glyptography.’
- ‘Gemstone carving, known as glyptography, is an exacting endeavor in which only the gifted and patient achieve success.’
- ‘But I'm willing to wager that it's not Tinsel Town's glyptography they're bragging about, but those of long dead dignitaries.’
- ‘The designs were reproduced from etchings by means of glyptography, a cheap form of graphic reproduction, enabling the publisher to sell the entire series of prints for one shilling.’
- ‘The XI international days of glyptography are organized this year in Palma de Mallorca.’
Late 18th century: from Greek gluptos ‘carved’ (from gluphein ‘carve’) + -graphy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.