One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound which is a non-selective systemic herbicide, particularly effective against perennial weeds.
- ‘Because glyphosate is a systemic, broad-spectrum herbicide, its effects in the environment can be far reaching.’
- ‘Kill weeds with glyphosate herbicide, pull them by hand, or chop them with a hoe or mattock and rake them up.’
- ‘If you must use weed killers, try a pre-prepared systemic herbicide containing glyphosate.’
- ‘For some 30 years, however, the herbicide glyphosate has kept morning glories quite effectively out of farm fields.’
- ‘Net returns may be greater than those from conventional herbicide systems due in part to the relative prices of glyphosate and other herbicides.’
- ‘A common chemical used to control weeds is glyphosate.’
- ‘The extent of adverse long-term health effects from increased consumption of compounds like glyphosate cannot be predicted.’
- ‘We are conducting more research to determine if this is due solely to the glyphosate or to the combination of glyphosate and ammonium sulfate.’
- ‘Alternatives to using glyphosate on weeds are: using a line trimmer or brush cutter, hand pulling weeds, steam or hot water treatment.’
- ‘Non-selective herbicides such as glyphosate and glufosinate aid in broadening the spectrum of weeds controlled.’
- ‘Remember that glyphosate is a non-selective herbicide.’
- ‘He recommended farmers decrease their reliance on glyphosate and rotate herbicide types to prevent ryegrass developing resistance.’
- ‘Application of glyphosate to small perennials often controls existing foliage, but regrowth occurs later in the growing crop.’
- ‘Roundup Ready is designed to provide plant resistance to the herbicide glyphosate.’
- ‘Applying glyphosate to perennial grasses before a killing frost or after plants green up in the spring will cause injury.’
- ‘The sprayed chemical is based on the compound glyphosate which can damage the human digestive system, central nervous system, lungs and blood.’
- ‘The U.S. and Colombian governments insist the fumigations, which use the herbicide glyphosate, are safe.’
- ‘It is important to distinguish between the active herbicide glyphosate and its commercially available formulations.’
- ‘The chemical used was the herbicide glyphosate, which when sprayed on crops does untold damage to the environment.’
- ‘Imagine then that some genetic modifier gets the idea that you could suppress the weed in crops with glyphosate if the crops themselves had been engineered to be immune to the weedkiller.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.