One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A figure representing the relative ability of a carbohydrate food to increase the level of glucose in the blood.
- ‘He contends that the levels of insulin in the body, not the glycemic index of foods, are what should be measured in a low-carbohydrate diet.’
- ‘You may find potential problems with a diet that emphasizes eating only foods with a low glycemic index.’
- ‘By contrast, those carbohydrates with a low glycemic index take much longer to affect your blood sugar levels, and have much lower impact on insulin fluctuations.’
- ‘The glycaemic index measures how much a particular food raises glucose compared with a reference food.’
- ‘They're now looking at whether carbohydrates with a high glycemic index also boost blood pressure and body fat.’
- ‘The glycemic load is simply the glycemic index of the food multiplied by the total gram of carbohydrate in the portion considered or consume.’
- ‘All foods high on the glycemic index (the measure of how quickly carbohydrates raise blood sugar levels), are discouraged in his diet.’
- ‘The glycemic index is a measure of the effect of dietary carbohydrate on blood glucose, on a scale from zero to 100; higher numbers correspond to a greater effect.’
- ‘The glycemic index is a standardized measure of blood glucose response to the ingestion of given substances that provides the equivalent carbohydrate content of different foods.’
- ‘The glycemic index measures the blood glucose profile of carbohydrate foods.’
- ‘Potential benefits for low glycemic index diets that incorporate increased amounts of dietary fibre are currently being investigated.’
- ‘The glycemic index measures the ability of any food to cause an insulin spike.’
- ‘A diet rich in carbohydrates with high glycaemic indices (pretzels, French fries, etc) can increase the risk for diabetes, which can lead to stroke disease and vascular dementia, but dietary changes can reverse such effects.’
- ‘Several studies have also looked at providing a carbohydrate with a lower glycemic index in the hour before exercise, but again, no improvement in performance was seen.’
- ‘We have a new way of understanding carbohydrate foods called the glycemic index that the American Diabetes Association has refused to accept.’
- ‘The glycemic index ranks carbohydrate-rich foods by how much they raise blood glucose levels compared with a standard food.’
- ‘The website allows the user to look up a food's score on the glycemic index, a scale that measures how a food's carbohydrates affect blood sugar levels.’
- ‘And that relationship is strengthened if you bring in the glycaemic load, and the glycaemic load is the glycaemic index times the carbohydrate per serve.’
- ‘Because of this issue of insulin sensitivity and in hopes of maintaining stable blood glucose levels, the glycemic index has also been studied in regards to pre-training eating.’
- ‘Recovery meals should steer toward carbohydrates with a high glycemic index, meaning they raise blood glucose rapidly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.