One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gluteus muscle.
- ‘Using your glutes and thigh muscles, drive your hips forward and back up to the starting position.’
- ‘Squeeze glutes and move pelvis toward front foot until stretch is felt in the front of the hip of the back leg.’
- ‘The quads, hip flexors, hip rotators, hamstrings and glutes are primary core stabilizers.’
- ‘YMCAs offer core-conditioning classes that work the upper back, abdominals, and glutes.’
- ‘Your glutes and shoulder blades should be on the bench, but you should be able to put your hand between the small of your back and the bench.’
- ‘From the bottom position, she tightens her glutes and uses those muscles to push back up to a standing position.’
- ‘Two decades ago, clearly defined lower backs were rare and no one had striated glutes.’
- ‘Why should a bodybuilder aspire to striated glutes if his midsection is distended?’
- ‘Tighten your abs and glutes, keeping your pelvis down, and lift one leg off the floor.’
- ‘The quadriceps, glutes, trapezius and upper back are also called into play.’
- ‘Squeeze your glutes, hamstrings and quadriceps as you hold the pose for five deep breaths.’
- ‘I really didn't need to train my abs and glutes because those muscles get plenty of use while racewalking.’
- ‘Next, using my triceps, glutes and core, I lift my glutes off the floor a few inches and hold for a count of two.’
- ‘Troubleshooting technique Squats are an excellent multipurpose exercise for the quadriceps and glutes.’
- ‘My legs ache from the slope and the lunges that my trainer explained would work the quadriceps, hamstrings and glutes.’
- ‘It does a great job working your lower body, hitting the quads, glutes, abductors and adductors.’
- ‘In contrast, full-range hyperextensions also rely on hip flexors and glutes.’
- ‘For example, a ballet dancer may tighten her glutes to tuck her sacrum under and turn her legs out.’
- ‘He proved once and for all he's not a fluke, that he's willing to bust his striated glutes in the gym.’
- ‘Marloth guides a series of intensive ballet barre exercises targeting the glutes, hips and thighs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.