Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A salt or ester of glutamic acid.‘potassium glutamate’
- ‘In addition, R2 was also mutated to a glutamate.’
- ‘Of all the 90 ionizable residues located along the ion-conducting pathway, 52 residues are lysines and arginines and 38 residues are aspartate and glutamates.’
- ‘Sickle cell anemia is caused by a mutation from a glutamate to a valine in the beta chain of the hemoglobin molecule.’
- ‘Mutations of aspartates and glutamates were done by substitution of the carboxyl group by the amide group.’
- ‘The largest contributions to the ligand-receptor energy are provided by aspartates and glutamates in the selectivity filter and carboxyl residues in the outer ring.’
- 1.1mass noun Glutamic acid, its salts, or its anion.‘evidence that glutamate is involved in epilepsy’
- ‘Monosodium glutamate is the salt of glutamate, an amino acid found naturally in protein-containing foods such as meat, vegetables, and milk.’
- ‘Its synthesis is dependent on the supply of its constituent amino acids cysteine, glutamate, and glycine.’
- ‘These reports constitute the only evidence of glutamate gating of plant ion channels, despite the frequent use of glutamate as a balancing anion in patch-clamping solutions.’
- ‘The cationic component of the hemolymph is frequently replaced by potassium and free amino acids such as glutamate, proline, lysine and glycine.’
- ‘In addition, the increased glutamate leads to glutamine formation.’
- 1.2short for monosodium glutamate
- ‘Free amino acids such as glutamate (also known as MSG) help dull the bitterness in certain vegetables.’
- ‘The glutamate naturally present in food, and the glutamate from MSG, are treated in exactly the same way by the body.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.