Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Mulled wine.
- ‘O'Tuama's cafe in Clonmel's Market Square should give away ‘artistic cookies’ and Glühwein next month.’
- ‘What makes Christmas markets tolerable is Glühwein, which is a mulled wine.’
- ‘In Germany I've been served Glühwein during Advent, i.e. the four to five weeks before Christmas.’
- ‘Christkindl's Glühwein is a type of mulled-wine which still today is produced according to old-world tradition.’
- ‘I live in Austria and my parents always drink Glühwein when it is December.’
German, from glühen to mull + Wein wine.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.