One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Blocking of the Eustachian tube by mucus (occurring especially in children).
- ‘Cranial osteopathy can also help to alleviate infant and childhood conditions including glue ear, colic, autism, reflux, ADHD, asthma, eczema, sleeping problems and delayed development.’
- ‘We are seeing rampant glue ear and asthma rates in low socio-economic areas, and that is all preventable with the right care.’
- ‘Children suffering from food sensitivity often have dark circles or bags under their eyes, and may also exhibit other symptoms including ear infections and glue ear, asthma and eczema.’
- ‘Children are particularly vulnerable to glue ear because their eustachian tubes are shorter and lie in a more horizontal position, which makes it easier for them to become blocked.’
- ‘By suppressing the fever these children end up with chronic glue ear, sinusitis or chest catarrh.’
- ‘The main symptom of glue ear is hearing loss, ranging from slightly muffled hearing in one ear, to full deafness, if both ears are affected.’
- ‘She had intermittent rhinorrhoea but no apparent glue ear or ear infections.’
- ‘These could include behavioural problems like attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or physical problems like glue ear, when there is a build up of sticky mucus in the inner ear.’
- ‘Hopi ear candles are used to treat a range of ailments including: earache, wax and glue ear, sinusitis, rhinitis, colds and flu, ear and throat infections, tonsillitis, mild hearing loss and tinnitus.’
- ‘Gently manipulating parts of the body can help treat development disorders, sleeplessness, glue ear, colic, bed-wetting, allergies and asthma.’
- ‘It is great for those, William says, but it can be used to treat a range of other conditions, too - everything from glue ear, sinusitis, headaches and migraines to asthma and irritable bowel syndrome.’
- ‘Recent research published in the British Medical Journal found that nearly half of all children in the UK are exposed to smoke at home - thought to double the risk of cot death, asthma, bronchitis and glue ear in children.’
- ‘This is because they are at higher risk of long-sightedness and short-sightedness, and glue ear which can result in hearing loss.’
- ‘Does privilege mean that we Maori dominate certain illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease, asthma, glue ear, and others, and that we die 10 years earlier than Pakeha?’
- ‘Children who have glue ear and whose ears get filled with mucus for periods of several weeks, are more likely to get an ear infection.’
- ‘An Effective Health Care bulletin on the treatment of persistent glue ear in children was distributed nationally to NHS decision makers in 1992.’
- ‘Children under the age of four, or children with a further risk condition such as Down's syndrome or a cleft palate, will be referred to the ENT specialist immediately if glue ear is diagnosed.’
- ‘The immediate effects of passive smoking on children can range from eye soreness, headaches, sore throats to nausea and conditions like glue ear.’
- ‘From birth, Maori record proportionately higher rates of hospital admission for asthma and glue ear.’
- ‘Resolution takes longer if the child has frequent upper respiratory infections, siblings with glue ear, or a mother who smokes tobacco.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.