One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Blocking of the Eustachian tube by mucus (occurring especially in children).
- ‘It is great for those, William says, but it can be used to treat a range of other conditions, too - everything from glue ear, sinusitis, headaches and migraines to asthma and irritable bowel syndrome.’
- ‘The main symptom of glue ear is hearing loss, ranging from slightly muffled hearing in one ear, to full deafness, if both ears are affected.’
- ‘Cranial osteopathy can also help to alleviate infant and childhood conditions including glue ear, colic, autism, reflux, ADHD, asthma, eczema, sleeping problems and delayed development.’
- ‘Children are particularly vulnerable to glue ear because their eustachian tubes are shorter and lie in a more horizontal position, which makes it easier for them to become blocked.’
- ‘Children under the age of four, or children with a further risk condition such as Down's syndrome or a cleft palate, will be referred to the ENT specialist immediately if glue ear is diagnosed.’
- ‘The immediate effects of passive smoking on children can range from eye soreness, headaches, sore throats to nausea and conditions like glue ear.’
- ‘Children suffering from food sensitivity often have dark circles or bags under their eyes, and may also exhibit other symptoms including ear infections and glue ear, asthma and eczema.’
- ‘By suppressing the fever these children end up with chronic glue ear, sinusitis or chest catarrh.’
- ‘Recent research published in the British Medical Journal found that nearly half of all children in the UK are exposed to smoke at home - thought to double the risk of cot death, asthma, bronchitis and glue ear in children.’
- ‘This is because they are at higher risk of long-sightedness and short-sightedness, and glue ear which can result in hearing loss.’
- ‘These could include behavioural problems like attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or physical problems like glue ear, when there is a build up of sticky mucus in the inner ear.’
- ‘Resolution takes longer if the child has frequent upper respiratory infections, siblings with glue ear, or a mother who smokes tobacco.’
- ‘Hopi ear candles are used to treat a range of ailments including: earache, wax and glue ear, sinusitis, rhinitis, colds and flu, ear and throat infections, tonsillitis, mild hearing loss and tinnitus.’
- ‘Gently manipulating parts of the body can help treat development disorders, sleeplessness, glue ear, colic, bed-wetting, allergies and asthma.’
- ‘We are seeing rampant glue ear and asthma rates in low socio-economic areas, and that is all preventable with the right care.’
- ‘An Effective Health Care bulletin on the treatment of persistent glue ear in children was distributed nationally to NHS decision makers in 1992.’
- ‘She had intermittent rhinorrhoea but no apparent glue ear or ear infections.’
- ‘Children who have glue ear and whose ears get filled with mucus for periods of several weeks, are more likely to get an ear infection.’
- ‘From birth, Maori record proportionately higher rates of hospital admission for asthma and glue ear.’
- ‘Does privilege mean that we Maori dominate certain illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease, asthma, glue ear, and others, and that we die 10 years earlier than Pakeha?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.