One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An acid derived from glucose which occurs naturally as a constituent of hyaluronic acid and other mucopolysaccharides.
A uronic acid; chemical formula: HOOC(CHOH)₄CHO
- ‘It is well-known that the active compound of licorice is glycyrrhizin, a conjugation of two molecules of glucuronic acid and glycyrrhetic acid.’
- ‘HA is a naturally occurring, linear polysaccharide with repeating disaccharide units composed of glucuronic acid and N-acetyl glucosamine.’
- ‘We predicted that Mojave woodrats would excrete more glucuronic acid per unit dry mass of resin consumed.’
- ‘At therapeutic doses, acetaminophen is biotransformed to nontoxic products and eliminated by conjugation with glucuronic acid and sulfate.’
- ‘In hepatocytes, UDP glucuronyl transferase adds 2 equivalents of glucuronic acid to bilirubin to produce the more water soluble, bilirubin diglucuronide derivative.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.