One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of corticosteroids (e.g. hydrocortisone) which are involved in the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats and have anti-inflammatory activity.
- ‘Some steroid hormones, such as glucocorticoids, bind to a cytoplasmic receptor protein that is then translocated into the nucleus.’
- ‘Medications that can reduce androgen levels include estrogen, gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists, and glucocorticoids.’
- ‘If signs and symptoms of glucocorticoid, mineralocorticoid, adrenal sex hormone, or catecholamine excess are present, surgery is usually indicated.’
- ‘Exogenous glucocorticoid may compensate for the reduced concentrations of cortisol, except at times of metabolic stress, when the extra demand for cortisol cannot be met by the atrophied adrenal glands.’
- ‘In one of them, Dallman and her colleagues simulated chronic stress by increasing the brain concentration of a rodent version of the glucocorticoid called cortisol.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.