One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of corticosteroids (e.g. hydrocortisone) which are involved in the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats and have anti-inflammatory activity.
- ‘In one of them, Dallman and her colleagues simulated chronic stress by increasing the brain concentration of a rodent version of the glucocorticoid called cortisol.’
- ‘Some steroid hormones, such as glucocorticoids, bind to a cytoplasmic receptor protein that is then translocated into the nucleus.’
- ‘If signs and symptoms of glucocorticoid, mineralocorticoid, adrenal sex hormone, or catecholamine excess are present, surgery is usually indicated.’
- ‘Medications that can reduce androgen levels include estrogen, gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists, and glucocorticoids.’
- ‘Exogenous glucocorticoid may compensate for the reduced concentrations of cortisol, except at times of metabolic stress, when the extra demand for cortisol cannot be met by the atrophied adrenal glands.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.