One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A novelty item consisting of a plastic tube containing two chemicals which combine when the tube is bent, so producing a luminescent glow.
- ‘Using chemical glow sticks for tiny lights, they squeeze between patients in litters.’
- ‘Mariah Carey performed the national anthem while the crowd raised red, white and blue glow sticks strategically distributed to form an American flag.’
- ‘For whatever reason, skating is much more fun with a glowstick, apparently.’
- ‘What made me laugh, is, you can see on her right arm a glow stick wrapped round her wrist.’
- ‘Not the display case where you can buy fake nose rings and baby tees and mini glowsticks to roll around on your tongue.’
- ‘Near us there is a man who has been enthusiastically blowing a whistle and waving a glow stick throughout.’
- ‘You can also attach bright tape, ribbon or glow sticks.’
- ‘All over the world and at the same time, different people are using glowsticks for different reasons and for very different applications.’
- ‘Last Fourth of July, each of them got a thin, flexible glow stick at the town fireworks display.’
- ‘Glow sticks will be available for $2.50 on the night, with all proceeds going to St Vincent's Hospital's Palliative Care Unit.’
- ‘A few riders now have torches on their helmets or glow sticks attached to saddles.’
- ‘Flashing cameras, bright cell phone screens, and way too many glowsticks are employed by nearly every audience member.’
- ‘Consumer Product Safety Commission says the glow sticks do not properly warn parents that the string can pose a choking hazard for kids.’
- ‘People came in groups and the cheaters used flashlights and glowsticks.’
- ‘Police patrolling the streets with their purple flares and disco-style glow sticks had little trouble to deal with.’
- ‘The course provides golfers with balls illuminated with glow sticks.’
- ‘He even taped glow sticks to the upper surface of the structure to help the pilot see how to line up in the dark for a precise touchdown.’
- ‘In Selfridges, a young friend excitedly pointed out that glowsticks were on sale.’
- ‘I have to get her some glow sticks.’
- ‘Inside the glow sticks flutter at the periphery of my vision.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.