Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A novelty item consisting of a plastic tube containing two chemicals which combine when the tube is bent, so producing a luminescent glow.
- ‘For whatever reason, skating is much more fun with a glowstick, apparently.’
- ‘Near us there is a man who has been enthusiastically blowing a whistle and waving a glow stick throughout.’
- ‘What made me laugh, is, you can see on her right arm a glow stick wrapped round her wrist.’
- ‘People came in groups and the cheaters used flashlights and glowsticks.’
- ‘Glow sticks will be available for $2.50 on the night, with all proceeds going to St Vincent's Hospital's Palliative Care Unit.’
- ‘Not the display case where you can buy fake nose rings and baby tees and mini glowsticks to roll around on your tongue.’
- ‘Mariah Carey performed the national anthem while the crowd raised red, white and blue glow sticks strategically distributed to form an American flag.’
- ‘Flashing cameras, bright cell phone screens, and way too many glowsticks are employed by nearly every audience member.’
- ‘Inside the glow sticks flutter at the periphery of my vision.’
- ‘The course provides golfers with balls illuminated with glow sticks.’
- ‘I have to get her some glow sticks.’
- ‘All over the world and at the same time, different people are using glowsticks for different reasons and for very different applications.’
- ‘A few riders now have torches on their helmets or glow sticks attached to saddles.’
- ‘Police patrolling the streets with their purple flares and disco-style glow sticks had little trouble to deal with.’
- ‘Last Fourth of July, each of them got a thin, flexible glow stick at the town fireworks display.’
- ‘In Selfridges, a young friend excitedly pointed out that glowsticks were on sale.’
- ‘Using chemical glow sticks for tiny lights, they squeeze between patients in litters.’
- ‘Consumer Product Safety Commission says the glow sticks do not properly warn parents that the string can pose a choking hazard for kids.’
- ‘You can also attach bright tape, ribbon or glow sticks.’
- ‘He even taped glow sticks to the upper surface of the structure to help the pilot see how to line up in the dark for a precise touchdown.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.