One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A recess with a flap in the dashboard of a motor vehicle, used for storing small items.
- ‘She sighed, ran a hand through her hair and reached across me to the glove compartment where she took out a packet of cigarettes while I gaped.’
- ‘With a heavy sigh, he popped the glove compartment and pulled out a pocket flashlight.’
- ‘The glasses I used for night driving stayed in the glove compartment, unused, unnecessary.’
- ‘There are small door pockets and a glove compartment, plus a couple of cup holders.’
- ‘I fumbled in the glove compartment, hoping the registration and insurance card would be there.’
- ‘It had a siren stored in the glove compartment that was hooked up to the car's cigarette lighter.’
- ‘She went back to the kid's SUV, and found some matches in the glove compartment.’
- ‘Dorian looked freaked out, so I pulled over and got a tissue from the glove compartment.’
- ‘There are cans of coke on the floor and a road map crumpled up in the glove compartment which won't close all the way.’
- ‘The only person there was a valet but he instructed us that the manual would be in the glove compartment.’
- ‘Designed to be kept in the glove compartment, the accident pack contains essential items for a driver involved in an accident.’
- ‘I suggest storing a bottle in the glove compartment of your car, at your office desk, or in your gym bag.’
- ‘I reached into the glove compartment and put on the driving gloves I found in it.’
- ‘I nearly ran a red light when he opened the glove compartment, spilling the contents all across the floor.’
- ‘My mom cheered as she reached into the glove compartment to click on a garage door opener inside it.’
- ‘He closed the book and turned to place it into the glove compartment under the dashboard.’
- ‘I put a bottle of Scotch in his glove compartment for an emergency.’
- ‘It is advisable to keep a novel in the glove compartment of the car on a rainy day because the traffic comes to a grinding halt on the main roads.’
- ‘Jessica glanced over to Jason and then at the glove compartment where one of the guns was stored.’
- ‘Popping open the glove compartment, she pulled out a pack of gum, and popped a piece into her mouth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.